We know you already enjoy using StumbleUpon to be entertained, inspired and informed, but we’re offering something new to make your Stumbling even better.
With Channels, you can see things from particular sites, people, and brands that you already know and like, while you’re Stumbling. Follow the ones you’re into to uncover more hand-picked gems, in addition to the great things we would normally recommend.
And, here’s the best part: no need to worry about missing the good stuff – as usual, we pick all the things we think you’ll like. Give it a try and a let us know what you think by sending us feedback here.
Type of Channels
There are three different types of Channels: Site Channels, Person Channels and Brand Channels.
Site Channels (http://www.stumbleupon.com/discover/channels/site):
Want us to send you the best tech news from your favorite blog? Or, the videos that literally make you laugh out loud from awesome video sites?
Follow your favorite sites to get more of their best stuff while you Stumble.
Person Channels (http://www.stumbleupon.com/discover/channels/person):
Do you want to know the kind of stuff that your favorite band is into? What about the scoop on this week’s hottest celebrity?
Follow your favorite people and learn more about what’s going on with them.
Brand Channels (http://www.stumbleupon.com/discover/channels/brand):
Want to get the latest commercials from cool brands? How about the best deals on your favorite products?
Follow your favorite brands to keep up with all the recent deals and updates coming from them.
Find and “Follow” a Channel in these quick and easy steps:
- Check out the Channels specifically recommended for you or choose to explore more Channels by selecting one of the options in the menu.
- Browse through the available sites (http://www.stumbleupon.com/discover/channels/site), people (http://www.stumbleupon.com/discover/channels/person), and brands (http://www.stumbleupon.com/discover/channels/brand) to find the Channels that interest you.
- Once you find a Channel you like – click the “Follow” button, located at the bottom of the Channel name.
Voila! You will start seeing great content from that Channel in your Stumble stream.
You can manage your Channels, just as you manage your interests in StumbleUpon.
To manage your Channels:
- Click on the ‘Profile’ tab to view your profile.
- Select the ‘Channels’ tab on the left pane to view a list of all Channels that you currently follow.
- Simply click “Unfollow” if you’re no longer interested in seeing content from a Channel.
- To add more Channels to your Stumble stream, click on the “Add Channels” link on the top right or to discover more great Channel content and view what Channels are recommended for you, go to http://www.stumbleupon.com/discover/channels/.
For more information about how to manage your Channels, check out this tutorial:
Channels are a great way to make sure your fans and loyal readers Stumble to your curated content. StumbleUpon’s revolutionary platform lets users surf the best of the web by “Stumbling” to sites that match their interests, simply by hitting a button on their browser or mobile device. With Channels, your content becomes part of a user’s streams when they “Follow” your Channel. This means the right audience lands directly on your web pages, videos, and photos, just when they’re in the mindset to discover something new. Followers will also give you valuable feedback (thumbs up / thumbs down) on your content.
You can edit your Channel settings after your create a Channel.
Follow the steps listed below to edit Channel settings:
- Find the Channel you would like to edit and click “Channel Settings”.
- Once you are in the “Channel Settings” page, you can edit your Channel’s settings.
- Click “Save Settings” after you have made your edits.
- To change your Channels thumbnail or attach a new feed to add content to your Channel, select the “Channel Thumbnail” or “Channel Feeds” tabs on the left panel.
Adding Web Pages
If you have not specified a feed for your Channel or would like to add additional web pages apart from those in your RSS, Twitter, or Facebook feed, follow the steps listed below to manually add web pages to your Channel:
- Find the Channel you would like to add new content to. Click on the “Pages” link next to the Channel you want.
- Add a new web page URL. Also, you can optionally add a comment and an expiration date for the page.
- Click “Save”. The new web page will be added to your Channel for your followers to enjoy!
Deleting Web Pages
- Find the Channel you would like to remove content from. Click on the “Pages” link.
- Click the “delete” link next to the URL you would like to remove from your Channel.
Go to www.stumbleupon.com/settings/connections to connect and manage your Twitter/Facebook accounts linked to your Channels.
Create a Channel
Thank you for your interest in Channels. We have closed the Channels beta program and are no longer accepting requests for new Channels at this time. To learn about other ways you can promote your content within StumbleUpon, please visit our Help Center and blog.
Can I include multiple feeds?
No. For now, you can only add one feed to your Channel. We can pull content from an RSS feed, or from your Facebook or Twitter feeds. For the best results, we encourage you to also manually add content to your Channel, hand-picked for the StumbleUpon audience.
If I’ve linked my Twitter or Facebook account, what content will get pulled into my Channel?
Only the links you post to Twitter or Facebook will get added to your Channel. Posts that do not include links will not be added.
What type of reporting is available for Channels?
On your Channel profile page, you can see your follower count, page views for each piece of content in your Channel, and how much content has been added to your Channel. Over the next several months, we’ll be working to make more advanced reporting available.
How do I manually add content to my Channel?
On your “Channel Settings” page, click on the “Channel Pages” tab. You can add a new page by entering the link for the page. Click on “Add” to add the page to your Channel.
What content should I include in my Channel?
- Be thoughtful about the content you add to your Channel. Feel free to switch feeds or manually curate your Channel with hand-picked content your followers will enjoy.
- As you’re getting started, avoid overloading your Channel with too much content. More content does not necessarily translate to more traffic.
- Our users respond to simple, engaging content. Visually appealing content does very well, while ad-heavy and slow loading pages do not do well. This blog post has some great insights on what makes for a great stumble, and please also review our content guidelines.
How do I connect my Facebook or Twitter accounts to my Channel? What other feeds can I add to my Channel?
- On your Channel Settings pages, click on the “Connected Accounts” link. On this page, click on “Connect your account” to connect your related Facebook or Twitter account. Enter your Facebook or Twitter username and password and click on “Authorize App”.
- Once you have connected an account, you will be able to add the feed from that account to your Channel by selecting them on the Channel Settings page.
- You can add any RSS feed to your Channel.
- If you are adding a Feedburner feed, append the feed URL with the parameter ?format=xml at the end.
What are Recommended Channels?
Recommended Channels are StumbleUpon’s suggestions for a user to follow tailored to that user’s interests.
How do you choose which Channels to feature on the site?
Channels featured on the site are chosen carefully based on demand from users and the quality of the content, among other factors.
How do I promote my Channel to gain more followers?
Promote via social media (Hint: use your Channel short link found in the top right corner of your Channel management pages).
How do I connect/change my feed?
- You can add any RSS feed to your Channel from your Channel Settings page.
- To add a Facebook or Twitter feed, go to your Channel Settings page and click on the Connected Accounts link. On this page, click on “Connect your account” to connect your related Facebook or Twitter account. Enter your Facebook or Twitter username and password and click on “Authorize App”. Once you have connected an account, you will be able to add the feed from that account to your Channel by selecting them on the Channel Settings page.
How can I change my thumbnails?
There is currently no way to change the thumbnails at this time, but we are actively working to improve the way in which we pull thumbnails. You should start to notice improvements soon!
How can I change my topics?
There is no way to change the topic on your content at this time, but we are actively working to improve the way in which we assign topics to a page. You should start to notice improvements soon!